Thursday, January 3, 2019

Arriving in the City that Speaks

Outer Journey


The day that we all have been waiting for since we signed up for this course has finally come. We made it to New Orleans. My first impression was of the bridge coming into the city. I recalled it from the video we watched the previous day. It seemed as though it stretched from one side of the state to the other and would never end. Around the bridge were broken trees and overgrown wetlands. It seemed slightly rugged at first. As we got closer to the train station there were
mounds of trash under the bridges with graffiti scattered across the cement. I was taken back at first. I had it in my head that it was this beautiful, well taken care of city. Later I learned that it was much different than my initial impressions.

The train station was bigger than I imagined it to be. There were many people sitting and waiting for loved ones to hop off the train. It was difficult to get our luggage because so many people gathered around our gate thinking their luggage would be there as well. It was like the Hunger Games trying to get past people to get our own luggage and people were getting more irritated by the second when they didn't see their suitcases. Once we got our luggage we made the hike to the hotel.

Traveling to the hotel was a very good start to this wonderful city. Our Uber driver's name was Keith and he was the most kind a southern gentleman I could've imagined as our transportation. He spoke to us about how he drives almost 5 days a week and how he loves the freedom of going home when he pleases. He drove a silver dodge caravan that had snacks in the middle of the seats. He strategically fit all of our suitcases in his trunk like a game of tetris. I was very pleased with his service and gave him a generous tip for it.

Walking the streets of New Orleans
As Keith dropped us off we walked into our hotel and I was very impressed. The ceilings looked like the wood in a beautiful log cabin house. Every inch of the building was updated with all of the latest technology and remodels. It was like winning the lottery when our name was finally called to grab our room keys. We quickly ran upstairs and threw all of our luggage on the ground. My roommates and I were all amazed at how nice our hotel room was. We all took turns taking 1 minute and 30 second showers after the grueling day on the train. Then we met in the lobby at 5 pm and adventured into the city.

We made it to the streetcar and all of the class sat in the back of the car while our group of 4 sat in the front. We sat next to this woman with short blonde hair, glasses, a sweater, and clenching a bag to her chest. She asked us where we were traveling and if we were getting off at Jackson Square, because she was terrified to walk alone. She seemed very odd to me at first. She told us about how around 8 am this morning her husband was stabbed by this woman walking through the square and was rushed to surgery. She was wanting to find a big group to walk with so that she didn't have to walk alone. In our quest of trying to help this woman, we did not realize that our entire class had gotten off the streetcar and we were a stop behind them! As soon as we realized it, my stomach felt as though it fell straight out of my body. Luckily we were close and found our group, but we are still unsure of whether this woman was telling us a true story.

Outside Original Pierre Maspero's
Lastly, we visited Original Pierre Maspero's for dinner. This building was beautiful and just the atmosphere was grand. A few people at my table got the crab cakes and they were delicious. Rachael and I shared the chicken and waffles, which was also amazing. It hit all of my taste buds just right and definitely lived up to the hype. If I ever get he chance to return to the French Quarter, I will be coming back to this restaurant.  

Chicken and Waffles from dinner




 Inner Journey 

 Being in New Orleans has taught this small town girl some things. I have never been one for the city, but I had a love at first sight moment with this city. First, I learned the classic lesson of not judging a book by it's cover. When we first arrived I was sort of disgusted by the amount of trash and debris, which made me very nervous to see the rest of the city. Once we got to our hotel and explored the French Quarter I quickly changed my mind. It was so beautiful and made me feel at home. Secondly, I learned to be very careful with my surroundings. The older woman on the streetcar convinced us all about her story and if we would have gotten off at her stop, we most likely would have walked with her. Who knows what could have happened or if the woman was telling the truth, but we need to learn to not take everyone we see at face value. Along with that, I have learned to keep my purse and valuables close to your body so that someone cannot walk up and take off with it. Thirdly I learned that going out of my comfort zone can be good. At the Original Pierre Maspero's I tried the crab cakes and I have never had real crab before. Usually when I am at home I will not try new things like that with the fear of not liking it or it making me ill. I thought the crab cakes were delicious and I never would have known that if I didn't step outside my comfort zone. A popular saying I always hear is that "If you don't step outside of your comfort zone, you will never grow as a person". I am starting to realize that this quote is very true and it inspires me to try new things while on this trip. 

Here's to doing more things that push me outside that comfort zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment