Monday, January 7, 2019

Hits You Right in the Feels

Outer journey

Today we visited the Cabildo which was full of information on New Orleans history. There were pieces about the Pontalba family, Andrew Jackson, past wars, maps of the city throughout the years, and much more. We also went to the Presbyter museum which was my favorite part of the day. This museum had two floors and the first one was all about Katrina while the second was about Mardi Gras. The first floor is filled with pictures, videos, voice recordings and other things from the hurricane that ripped this city apart in 2005. As soon as you walk in there is the sound of strong winds and recordings of the news from that day. I instantly got chills down my whole body. It seems so real while you are watching the videos just like you were in New Orleans that day, listening to the news deciding on whether or not to evacuate. Then once you move further into the room there are videos playing of people's houses flooding and recordings playing of real people speaking about what was happening. It is absolutely soul shaking. Then as you move further there is different stations of readings and videos labeled "super dome", "hospitals", "first responders", etc. As each video would play the sound would shift and the lights would zero in on that area. Voices of stranded people, nurses, doctors, and first responders would play overhead. The one that really hit home was the nurses and doctors speaking about how they were stranded in the hospital, but the media still reported they were rescued. They had to create signs and get attention from people to let them know they were still there and needed help. They spoke of how patients had to be triaged by who they could get out the fastest and needed the most assistance. I teared up during this video because I imagined myself as a patient or nurse in this situation and how terrifying it would be. The faculty watched an air force plane fly over with the president thinking they were being rescued, but they had to watch the plane fly off into the distance. I can't imagine being in their situation and how great they preformed. After a certain amount of time you would start to lose any hope in being helped. Watching patients and their families die in this natural disaster would be traumatic. In one of the videos a victim spoke of how this was a natural disaster that turned into a man-made disaster because of how the media did not declare a state of emergency and evacuation until it was almost too late. Many people left behind their animals and personal belongings thinking they could return after a few days and everything be fine. The disaster was not handled as well as it should have been and while it was terrible, it was a turning point and lesson for the city of New Orleans to be ready for the future.

Inner Journey

At the end of the walk-through in the Katrina exhibit, there was a place to sit and watch a show. It was a compilation of people speaking of how much they love their city and what makes it special. Many spoke about how the hurricane was a terrible tragedy, but they returned and help put it back together. It took years, but they did it. In my previous posts I have wrote about how the city has spoken to me through the love and sense of citizens being so proud and I continue to believe this every day. I learned that this hurricane shook New Orleans to the core and broke them, but that didn't stop the residents from coming back and building their lives back to what they were. It speaks volumes that so many people love this city and how amazing it makes you feel and Katrina only proved that point. New Orleans could have been abandoned and left in the shambles it was in, but that wouldn't be th New Orleans way. It is commonly spewed that we are a divided country these days and while that may be true, you do not feel that when you come to this city full of life. I was concerned about being in a heavily populated city such as New Orleans, but I do not feel that way at all. The city has a way of making you feel like you're the only one here and that you are important. While the city has taught me of how proud they are of their efforts after Katrina, it has also taught me something about myself. I have always had a small itch to do a mission trip or join the red cross for when there are disasters as a nurse, but after yesterday I am sure that I want to do that. This city showed me how proud I am of the profession I have chosen and the opportunities I can bring even in the depths of a tragedy. I am so utterly proud to have been to this city and contribute to their thriving community. It truly is a city that speaks and while it teaches you a thing or two about it's history- it teaches you a thing or two about yourself.


Front room in the Presbyter

No comments:

Post a Comment